Monday, September 11, 2006

An amalgamation of oddities

As there is no incredibly superlative event to focus my daily witticism, I fully expect this entry to be rather unfocused and (I'll just come out and say it) weak. So, Reader, be prepared.

Yesterday I drove home to Marietta to pick up my new (or at least new to me ) Mac. Now it is important to note that I have absolutely no experience with Apple computers, outside of owning an iPod which has inexplicably disappeared. I bought this slightly outdated Mac on mere whim and a friend's rather fanboy-esque assurances. So I get my Mac and get over the initial ooh's and aah's and that is when it hits me: I don't know what the hell I am doing. Not in the slightest. I start up my new, undeniably sleek, aesthetically pleasing computing machine and I have no idea what to do.

So I did what most people would do in my situation: go out and buy more stuff. It's the common answer whenever we come to any sort of brick wall. Whether it is a physical limit (when you can't lose enough weight, buying a gym membership) or an intellectual one (An Idiot's Guide to Anything), our answer is buying something, whether it be product or service. This is why, five minutes after arriving at my house, I hop in my car again and drive to my own personal Mecca: Best Buy.

I don't understand the typical female desire for garment shopping. I just don't enjoy shopping for clothes. If I had a choice between a full day of shopping, and oh, falling down the last 10 stairs in my apartment, I'd probably choose shopping. But it'd be close. Very close.

I think Best Buy is the guy's Victoria Secret. Now, I realize that this probably isn't a woman's favorite place to shop, however this is where I like to think women joyously go to spend entirely too much money on daring lingerie. Besides, this is my metaphor; indulge me. Best Buy is where we go when we need a emotional, physical, or mental pick-up ("we" here means the entirety of the male gender). We make pilgrimages to Best Buy to buy the male equivalent [edit: The author feels that this metaphor has been taken slightly too far and would rather not discuss what was about to be said. Non-Sequitor.]

But Best Buy failed me! They didn't have any Mac stuff at all: no Airport cards for wireless Internet, no Apple software, not even and Mac-compatible DVD-drives. I was profoundly disappointed, but my spirits rose. There are plenty of computer stores in and around the Marietta area, I rationalized. So I left the Best Buy marginally hopefully. My hopes were soon dashed at CompUSA, and even further by MicroCenter. Nothing I was looking for was to be found.

I returned home rather dispirited, not having any really "wicked Mac apps" in which to play with. I have been forced to order everything online which will most likely delay my exuberance another week.. Drat and double drat. Well, at least I'll have Chess to keep me company.

Pawn to E-2.

1 comment:

jinx protocol said...

Just because you don't know d*ck about computers doesn't mean you can call others fanboys, guy.

Ha!